s if i wasn't animal friendly before. But. Our minds like habits and resist change, something i find myself being uncomfortable with often. I want full control of my life and i can't have mental inertia leading me astray. So, during those days that come ever so often, when i find myself changing irrevocably because of a sudden understanding, i feel good. And about a week ago i felt jubilantly good.
I am now vegan. So is my partner. We are very happy with our decision. We will try from now on to never take advantage of another sentient being's suffering in the name of our comfort and pleasure. Only for the sake of our survival will we inconvenience or destroy other thinking beings and then again with the utmost care and respect.
I was already vegetarian, for the simple reason that killing to entertain my taste buds seems distasteful (pun intended) when there are so many easy alternatives. As in most things of great importance, chickens were involved in me turning vegan. :D An article pointed out that chickens lay eggs for 2 years, out of their average 8 years of life. So what do you think happens to all the chickens after the 2 years? Yeap, you guessed it, someone eats them after a nice bloody slaughter. Whatever was i thinking before now? That chickens lay eggs until their old frail age and then they are put down humanely as you would do to your old pet dog? Actually, yes that's what i thought in my ignorance, somehow. I was wrong. I am vegan now.
I will not post any links, these are matters for anyone who is truly interested to research on their own. I will give some quick pointers and statistics though and don't take my word for it, research if you care. Or ask me further details, i will be happy to help. :)
- 1 nutritional calorie of meat takes 10 times the energy to produce compared to 1 nutritional calorie derived from plants. Not eating meat is considerate towards every living thing and the planet too.
- Easily twenty billion land animals are slaughtered every year. That's 20,000,000,000 if you like zeroes. That includes more than one billion pigs, arguably some of the smartest animals on this little planet of ours.
- It is easy to eat healthily if you are vegetarian and it is laughably easy if you are vegan. I am already losing fat without dieting. Only animal products have cholesterol.
- We are not still in the Middle Ages when it was either meat or starvation.
- You wouldn't kill and eat your pet cat because she would make a really, really tasty dish.
- I believe that humanity will naturally stop taking advantage of animals, as we have stopped taking (too much) advantage of each other. We will all be vegans at some point. I am just an early adopter. :)
These are some of the reasons that made me take the moral high ground and try to reduce suffering around me. If you agree let me know and if you disagree don't hesitate too. I'm here to help and i'm here to let you know how tasty courgettes are! :)
And if you think vegans have no fun, try doing a search for "vegan" in Etsy's baked goods section. ;)
All my love to you, no matter how many legs you have!
xxx Hidden Eloise xxx